Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
I help communicate the research happening at the Broad to the general public. I write news stories and blog posts, help produce videos and infographics, and work with scientists to prepare for public talks. I’m also working on public engagement and community outreach projects for the Institute, including an upcoming science museum.
- Combing through old drugs to find new ones for COVID-19
- #WhyIScience Q&A: A software engineer tells her story of moving from finance to biomedical research
- Genetic predisposition unveiled in diabetic kidney disease
- Study highlights need to increase diversity within genetic data sets
- Approaching the genome like an engineer
- New understanding of both ancient and modern elephant genome may aid conservation efforts
JoVE (Journal of Visualized Experiments)
At JoVE, I produced content directed towards scientists, including blogs, newsletters, video stories, social media, and reports. I also organized a global science communication video contest for researchers and students.
What's in Our Waters
I co-founded this science education and outreach program. We partnered with local high schools to mentor students in environmental science, specifically water quality, and how to communicate scientific research.
- Clemson's WOW nature project inspires Daniel High students
- Interviews at Clemson Biological Sciences Annual Student Symposium (video)
- Students of SETAC Outreach: Clemson WOW Project
- Grad students teach high-schoolers how to monitor water quality
Three Minute Thesis
In 2014, while a student at Clemson, I won the university’s first Three Minute Thesis contest. The next year, I co-chaired the committee organizing the contest at Clemson. Since 2018, I have been a communication coach at bootcamps for training Clemson’s finalists.
- 3MT: Grad students win for explaining their work in 3 minutes
- Clemson University 2014 Three Minute Thesis
While at Clemson, I worked with different departments to gain experience in science communication. I wrote articles and recorded videos with the news office. I also helped the Department of Environmental and Agricultural Sciences prepare a report on watershed management for the state government.
- Lower Twelve Mile, Eighteen Mile, and Golden Creek Watershed Based Plan
- A Research Triple Crown (video)
- A summer of research inspires students from across the U.S.
Waste Wise Trust
I led communication strategy and developed public health outreach and training programs for Waste Wise Trust, an environmental non-profit in Bengaluru, India. I also wrote grant proposals and content for the organization’s newsletter, website, and social media.